What is Branding
What is branding?
Your brand is what people say about you when you aren’t in the room – jeff bezoz
This is one of our favorite, to the point, definitions of “branding”, because it is focused on the result of all the hard work that is put into creating a brand: the perception that is perceived by others.
At its core, branding is all of the ways you establish an image of you or your company in the eyes of others. This can be accomplished through many different facets.
1. Visual Identity: Your visual identity is one of the first elements that come to mind when talking about branding. This includes your logo, icon, color palette, font selections, pattern selections as well as graphics that are created for your brand. Other elements of your visual identity include the design of your website, brand photography, the vibe of your social media feed as well printed collateral such as thank you cards, stationary and any print marketing.
2. Purpose and Values: Before you get to designing the visual identity of your brand, it is important to identify the “why” behind your brand. Who do you want to impact and serve? What are the non negotiables of your company that you WILL NOT compromise? These elements drive so much of how the perception of your company is formed by others.
3. Brand Messaging: What are the key messages you want to communicate about your brand? Your brand messaging can be seen in the language, voice, and language used in your content. It is what makes your clients related, identify with and trust you.
4. Voice: The way you communicate with your ideal client plays into the voice of your brand. High end brands that want to convey luxury will use different copy than a company that is targeting young teen buyers. The voice you use as a company will help connect with your ideal customer in a way they understand. Voice also greatly portrays the personality of your brand.
5. Experience: We love including client experience as one of the top 5 elements of branding. What do your clients experience when they walk into your shop, office or event? Do you send outrageous things in the mail to say thank you? Is your voicemail recording unforgettable? What is your customer service like? Disneyland, with no explanation, is an easy example to explain “experience”. If you’ve been… you know what we mean. It is simply magical.
This can all seem a little overwhelming, and you may feel like you don’t where to start. Here at The Buzz Brand we love serving our clients through the branding process. When you take the time to identify each of these elements, it allows your brand to go deeper, connect more, and have timeless longevity. Whether you work with us, or another branding agency, you can use these top 5 elements as a “checklist” of sorts when creative a cohesive and professional brand.